Pea, Potato & Pesto Croquettes
by Kate Ford | The Veg Space
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Makes 16 croquettes
300g mashed potato
100g peas (cooked and drained)
large handful fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes or vegan parmesan (optional)
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed, or 2 tsp ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
5 tbsp chickpea (gram) flour
100g Sweet Chilli Dried Peas blitzed into crumbs
plain flour for dusting
vegetable oil for frying
- Mix together the potato, peas, basil, pine nuts, vegan parmesan/nutritional yeast and garlic in a large bowl.
- Tip the chickpea flour into a smaller bowl and mix to a paste with 5 tbsp water – the mixture should be roughly the consistency of beaten egg, so if it is too thick add a little more water, and if it is too thin, a little more flour.
- Tip the breadcrumbs or crushed dried peas into another small bowl.
- Flour a clean worktop or chopping board, then take a quarter of the mashed potato mixture and roll it into a long sausage shape. Cut the ‘sausage’ into four equal lengths, then repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep frying pan or saucepan – the oil should be about half a centimetre deep. Take each croquette, dip it first in the gram flour mixture, then into breadcrumbs (it is easiest to do this with two forks), rolling it around until fully coated. Place into the oil and repeat until you have 4 or 5 croquettes frying at once (don’t overload the pan), turning occasionally until they are golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan onto kitchen paper to remove any excess oil, then repeat until all the croquettes are cooked. They can be eaten straight away, or refrigerated and reheated in the oven when needed.
You can find the full blog post by Kate Ford from The Veg Space here.